Sunday, August 05, 2012

Is it time for a reboot?

I've been investigating classroom design for three years now and I was starting to think that it might be a good time to start over and reboot. We had some political tension and I wondered if I should take down everything I bought or created. I decided not to for a number of reasons. One of the reasons was that a little political tension was not a good enough reason. Also as a protest it seemed lame.

But then I wondered if tearing it all down would be interesting from a scientific stand point. But I decided that was unnecessary too. I already know of classrooms that have minimal thought to design or classrooms where the environments don't work for the teachers or students, so I already know what effect those classrooms have on learning.

I do have to say that in some oddly masochistic way, I did find the idea of starting over from scratch appealing.  I've been helping other teachers rethink their classroom, so I might be getting swept up in their enthusiasm.  I think I am also getting wary of getting stuck in the rut of "But I've done it this way for years."  It has only been three years, but I do want to practice what I preach.

For now, I'll keep it the way it is.  No reboot yet.  I am out of my classroom more next year, so it would be tricky making too many changes.  I'll probably have a new teaching partner and I'll definitely have a new crop of students, so I'll have to implement any changes gradually with them.  Plus, I need to have my classroom set up in my odd way as an example for other teachers who are looking at alternative designs. 

The year after this one though, hmm, all bets are off.  I know I'll have that itchy feeling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment